Posted by Alex Rocha – Developer Relations Engineer Supervisor, Ryan Ausanka-Crues – Eng Supervisor, Multi-device growth, Stella Loh – Product Supervisor, Multi-device growth
At present we’re launching our Developer Preview of the brand new. First introduced through the Google I/O ‘22 , our Cross system SDK permits builders to construct wealthy with a easy and intuitive set of APIs. This SDK abstracts away the intricacies concerned with working with system discovery, authentication, and connection protocols, permitting you to give attention to what issues most—constructing pleasant consumer experiences and connecting these experiences throughout quite a lot of type elements and platforms.
What’s in Developer Preview
This preliminary launch accommodates a set of wealthy APIs centered across the core performance of Machine discovery, Safe connections, and Multi-device Periods.
- Machine discovery: Simply discover close by gadgets, authorize peer-to-peer communication, and begin the goal utility on receiving gadgets.
- Safe connections: Allow encrypted, low-latency bi-directional information sharing between approved gadgets.
- Multi-device Periods: Allow transferring or extending an utility’s consumer expertise throughout a number of gadgets.
In flip, this can permit you to construct compelling cross-device experiences by enabling and simplifying the next use circumstances:
- Discovering and authorizing communication with close by gadgets.
- Sharing an app’s present state with the identical app on one other system.
- Beginning the app on a secondary system with out having to maintain the app working in background.
- Establishing safe connections for gadgets to speak with one another.
- Enabling process handoff the place the consumer begins a process on one system, and may simply proceed on one other system.
Beginning in the present day with a Developer Preview for Android telephones and tablets, the Cross system SDK shall be accessible later for different Android surfaces and non-Android OSs.
Beneath The Hood
The Cross system SDK gives a software program abstraction layer that handles all points of cross-device connectivity, leveraging wi-fi applied sciences comparable to Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and Extremely-wide band; our SDK does all of the heavy-lifting underneath the hood, providing you a modular,connectivity-agnostic API that helps bi-directional communication between gadgets and is backward appropriate to Android 8. As well as, apps won’t need to declare or request Runtime Permissions for any of the underlying connectivity protocols used (comparable to, , , and so forth.), and the consumer can enable apps to hook up with solely the system(s) they chose.
Getting began with Developer Preview
Head over to ourto get began and check out the Developer Preview of the Cross system SDK for Android. Ensure to take a look at our Rock Paper Scissor pattern app ( and ) on GitHub for an indication on easy methods to work with the varied APIs and our Google I/O ‘22 session for a basic overview of the SDK.
We’d love to listen to from you throughout this preliminary Developer Preview launch to assist us form the SDK and affect future roadmapping, so pleaseand tell us your expertise with the SDK!