The Natural Farming Analysis Basisis a report knowledgeable by surveys and focus teams carried out in 2020 with over 1,100 licensed natural farmers and ranchers throughout North America.
What Farmers Stated
- Within the , 74% of survey respondents cited insect/pest administration as a considerable technical help want.
- Particular suggestions from natural farmers additionally underscores the necessity for added analysis on managing pests equivalent to flea beetle.
Obtain OFRF’s Pest Profiles
Know Your Pest
Flea beetles are extremely cell and should fly lengthy distances seeking appropriate crops.
Eggs are elliptical in form and white to yellowish grey in coloration. They’re laid on the base of host crops, or in soil across the base of the plant. Eggs hatch in 11-13 days (at 77°F). Adults mate and lay eggs singly or in teams of 3-4 in soil on the base of host crops.
Larvae feed on the foundation hairs and taproots of seedlings. Harm is normally minimal at this section besides within the case of the Tuber Flea Beetle which feeds on potato tubers and the roots of potatoes. When larval growth is full, larvae pupate in small earthen cells for 9-13 days earlier than rising as adults.
Managing Flea Beetle
Stress these pests by:
- Planting a entice crop to draw pests away.
- Take away different meals sources.
- Interrupt life cycles.
- Create a barrier with floating row cowl.
Improve the inhabitants of helpful bugs equivalent to Braconid wasp (Microctonus vittatae), Lacewing larvae (Chrysoperla spp.), Massive eyed bugs (Geocoris spp.), and Damsel bugs (Nabis spp.). Useful plantings of anise, dill, chamomile, marigold, or clover can improve floral assets and encourage predatory bugs.
Integrating wholesome crop variety, constructing, and instituting crop rotations may also assist pest administration.